Research supported by:
Earthwatch Institute

My expedition fellowship is funded by Wells Fargo Bank, N.A.

The Live from the Field program is made possible by a generous grant from National Geographic Education Foundation.
In a month, I will be in New Orleans ready to participate in Hunting for Caterpillars. My blog will be the record of my experiences. I’m looking forward to working with the scientists and taking part in this scientific endeavor. This project revolves around efforts to document the diversity of caterpillars and their parasitoids. So I will be collecting caterpillars!

The scientists are also studying how different caterpillar defenses work against their natural enemies. They will use the knowledge they acquire to create possible alternatives to pesticides which cause environmental problems.

This investigation is part of a global effort to understand climate change. The project has already discovered a strong link between precipitation and parasitism. What might a warming earth mean for the future of butterflies and moths?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are looking forward to following your trip from the Science Center School. We hope you find lots of caterpillars.

Unknown said...

hi melanie,

I was one of your students at vccs.Your my favorite teacher.I still remember some of the great times we had like poetry hour,field trips to spepluvta lake,the weather machine disecting owl pellets and many more.I miss you so much.

love,
marie -claire