Research supported by:
Earthwatch Institute

My expedition fellowship is funded by Wells Fargo Bank, N.A.

The Live from the Field program is made possible by a generous grant from National Geographic Education Foundation.
Today we did not go to the swamp because it was raining too hard. So I stayed in the bag room and I looked though the bags to see if any adult moths were emerging. I did find one small moth but it was dead. We also cleaned out the mold in some of the bags. In one bag a pupa turned out to not be one but to be a caterpillar. He was a little tiny one. We had to make a note to get him some food.

Later I prepared soil (sand and peat) 10 trays of little pots the I placed alfafa seeds into the pots. The seeds wil make small plants and caterpillars will be place on the plants. The plants will be in containers that have different amounts of CO2 and different temperatures. They will see how both the plants and the caterpillars fare.I explained how in the class we do very similar experiments. We don't have different amounts of CO2 but we see how plants do with different amounts of sand, clay, peat, etc.

I 'm excited to come back and start some new experiments.Someone said they thought I should continue this blog to show how I'm using what I have learned and to continue to share what we are doing. I think that is a great idea.

I was happy to see my class by compter today. Katelyn and other students have asked me how caterpillars turn into moths. I asked some scientists for you. They all said that it is just amazing. Inside the hard shell of the pupa, that caterpillar turns completely into liquid and then reassembles itself. The scientists I talked to said that it is still a mystery. No one know exactly how this is done.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi melanie,

this is marie-claire I was one of your 3rd grade students at vccs.I don't know if you will remember me but your my favorite teacher I have ever have had.I still remember poetry hour,the weather machine, field trips to sepulvita lake, disecting the owl pellets and many more thing I can't think of at the moment.I miss you so much!

love,
marie claire
ps. josh misses you